Europe is facing an unprecedented energy price and supply crisis. This needs to be urgently addressed. At EU and national level, measures are being discussed and the European Commission is expected to present fresh proposals on Wednesday 18 May.
In this context, ESMIG calls for:
- fully recognising the contribution of smart energy solutions for energy security and affordability as part of the solution to address high prices and enable savings
- swiftly implementing existing EU and national legislation: the Electricity Directive and Regulation contain key provisions which have not yet been fully implemented
Focus should be on the following 3 actions in coordination:
- Accelerate and complete the roll out of smart meters across Europe
- Remove barriers on energy data access and sharing, make real-time data available to consumers
- Implement and enable demand-side flexibility, eliminate regulatory barriers
You can find our position paper here.