ESMIG is currently active in the following European initiatives:
Smart Meters Coordination Group (SM-CG)
ESMIG has supported the SM-CG in defining and developing the following areas:
- A functional architecture
- Use cases for smart metering
- Minimum security requirements
- A European approach for security certification for smart meters.
See the following publications for more details:
- Functional reference architecture for communications in smart metering systems report
- Smart Meter Protection Profile report
Smart Grids Task Force (SG TF) and related Expert Groups
ESMIG supports expert groups of the European Smart Grid Task Force:
- EG1 Expert Group for Interoperability requirements
- EG2 Regulatory Recommendations for Data Privacy and Data Protection in the Smart Grid Environment
- EG3 Regulatory Recommendations for Demand Side Flexibility Deployment
The European Cyber Security Organisation (ECSO)
ESMIG participates in Working Group 1 of ECSO. The main objective is to support ENISA with the definition of a European Framework for security certification of products, services and processes.
ETIP-SNET (European Technology and Innovation Platform on Smart Networks for Energy Transition), was created in July 2016 to work on the Research and Innovation program of the European Commission. ESMIG has been selected to chair one of the 5 Working Groups: “Digitisation of the electricity system and Customer participation”.
Working Group Measuring Instruments (wgMI)
ESMIG is one of the industry associations represented in this group. Proposals for changes in the Measuring Instruments Directive (MID) are reviewed by the ESMIG MUM group while its comments are taken into account and discussed by the wgMI.
Stakeholders for Cybersecurity Certification Group (SCCG)
ESMIG participates in the SCCG that was established by the Cybersecurity Act in 2019 to advise the Commission and ENISA, the European Union Agency for Cybersecurity, on strategic issues regarding cybersecurity certification, and assist the Commission in the preparation of the European Union’s rolling work programme.